Colitis Home > Uceris Overdose
Although a one-time overdose of Uceris (budesonide ER) is not expected to be particularly dangerous, taking too much of this drug on a regular basis can result in serious complications. Taking too much of this steroid on a continuous basis can cause the body to stop making its own natural steroids. Treatment for an overdose may involve administering certain medications, pumping the stomach, and providing supportive care.
Uceris™ (budesonide ER) is a medication used to treat ulcerative colitis. It is available only with a prescription, and belongs to a group of medications known as corticosteroids. The effects of a Uceris overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Uceris dosage and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, food, or street drugs.
In general, a one-time overdose of a corticosteroid, including Uceris, is usually not dangerous. However, taking too much Uceris on a regular basis can cause serious problems. Also, if you have taken too much Uceris for several days in a row, do not stop taking it suddenly. The body becomes accustomed to the extra steroid and stops making natural steroids on its own. It is best to decrease the dose slowly, in order to give your body a chance to start making steroids on its own again.
If the Uceris overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer certain medicines to cause vomiting or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For instance, if high blood pressure occurs, medications will be given to lower blood pressure to a safe level.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have taken a Uceris overdose.