Colitis Home > Pentasa Dosage
The recommended Pentasa dosage for treating mild to moderately active ulcerative colitis is four 250-mg capsules or two 500-mg capsules four times a day. In order for the medication to work properly, you must follow your dosing guidelines as prescribed. Your Pentasa dosage should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level of the medicine in your blood.
The dose of Pentasa® (mesalamine) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Pentasa dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Pentasa Dosage for Ulcerative ColitisThe recommended dose of Pentasa for mild to moderately active ulcerative colitis is 1 gram (four Pentasa 250 mg capsules or two Pentasa 500 mg capsules) four times daily.
Considerations for people taking Pentasa include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth four times daily.
- You can take the medicine with or without food. If Pentasa bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- The capsules are controlled-release and should not be opened, chewed, or crushed.
- Pentasa should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Pentasa will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Pentasa or your Pentasa dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider.