Colitis Home > Mesalamine Uses
Symptoms of ulcerative colitis can be improved by treatment with mesalamine. Uses of the medication include the treatment of ulcerative colitis, ulcerative proctitis, ulcerative proctosigmoiditis, and distal ulcerative colitis. By inhibiting the action of certain chemicals in the colon, inflammation and other symptoms are diminished. "Off-label" mesalamine uses can include the treatment of Crohn's disease, another inflammatory bowel condition.
- Medications (see Ulcerative Colitis Medication)
- Dietary changes (see Ulcerative Colitis Diet)
- Lifestyle changes (see Living With Ulcerative Colitis)
- A combination of these options.
- Ulcerative proctitis
- Ulcerative proctosigmoiditis (which affects the rectum and the sigmoid colon, the very end of the colon)
- Distal ulcerative colitis (which affects the rectum, sigmoid colon, and the descending colon).