Colitis Home > Entocort Overdose
You should seek immediate medical attention if you think you may have overdosed on Entocort EC (budesonide EC). Overdose symptoms will vary depending on how much Entocort EC was taken and whether it was taken with other substances. There are various treatment options available for an Entocort EC overdose, such as pumping the stomach and giving certain medications.
Entocort Overdose: An OverviewEntocort® EC (budesonide EC) is a medication used to treat Crohn's disease. It is only available with a prescription and belongs to a group of medications known as corticosteroids. The effects of an Entocort EC overdose can vary depending on a number of factors, including the Entocort EC dosage and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, food, or street drugs.
If you happen to overdose on Entocort EC, seek immediate medical attention.
Effects of an Entocort OverdoseIn general, a one-time overdose of a corticosteroid (like Entocort EC) is usually not dangerous. However, taking too much Entocort EC on a regular basis can cause serious problems. Also, if you have taken too much Entocort EC for several days in a row, do not suddenly stop taking it. The body becomes accustomed to the extra steroid and stops making natural steroids on its own. It is best to slowly decrease the dose, in order to give your body a chance to start making steroids on its own again.
Treatment for an Entocort OverdoseIf the Entocort EC overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment may also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For instance, if high blood pressure occurs, then medications will be administered to lower blood pressure to a safer level.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Entocort EC.