Colitis Home > Colazal Side Effects
A few common side effects of Colazal include abdominal pain (or stomach pain), gas, diarrhea, and joint pain. Some side effects of the drug are potentially serious and may require prompt medical attention. Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you experience serious side effects such as signs of an allergic reaction or worsening ulcerative colitis symptoms.
An Introduction to Colazal Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Colazal® (balsalazide disodium); however, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Colazal. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Colazal side effects with you.)
Common Colazal Side EffectsColazal has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, some of the most common Colazal side effects included:
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain) -- in up to 6 percent of people
- Diarrhea -- up to 5 percent
- Joint pain -- up to 4 percent
- An irritated or runny nose -- up to 2 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 2 percent (see Colazal and Insomnia)
- Fatigue -- up to 2 percent
- Rectal bleeding -- up to 2 percent
- Gas -- up to 2 percent
- A fever -- up to 2 percent
- Indigestion or heartburn -- up to 2 percent
- A sore throat -- up to 2 percent
- A cough -- up to 2 percent.
Some other common side effects (occurring in 1 percent of people) included:
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs or bladder infections)
- Muscle pain
- Flu-like symptoms (such as chills)
- Dry mouth (see Colazal and Dry Mouth)