Colitis Home > Colazal
When and How to Take ColazalThe following are some general considerations for when and how to take this medication:
- Colazal comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth three times daily.
- You may take it with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For people with difficulty swallowing, the capsules may be opened and the contents sprinkled on a spoonful of applesauce. The entire spoonful should be swallowed immediately. Be aware that staining of teeth or the tongue may occur if the medication is taken in this way.
- It should be taken at the same times each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- For the medicine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Colazal. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain)
- Joint pain.