Colitis Home > Colazal and Insomnia
Side effects are possible with Colazal, and insomnia is one of the more common side effects of this medicine. While not everyone will experience this side effect when taking the drug, knowing what to do if it occurs can be helpful. If you are taking Colazal and insomnia occurs, you can try avoiding caffeine four to six hours before bedtime and keeping a regular sleep-wake cycle, among other things.
An Introduction to Colazal and InsomniaInsomnia is a common side effect of Colazal® (balsalazide disodium). In previous studies, up to 2 percent of people taking the drug reported insomnia as one of the Colazal side effects.
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep
- Waking up too early in the morning
- Having unrefreshing sleep.
Suggestions for Colazal and InsomniaIn some cases, people who are taking Colazal and experiencing insomnia can find relief by improving their sleep habits. Some tips for better sleep include:
- Keeping a regular sleep-wake cycle. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same times every day.
- Avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine in the four to six hours before bedtime.
- Avoiding exercise within two hours of bedtime. Exercising five or six hours before bedtime, however, may help you sleep more soundly.
- Avoiding large meals within two hours of bedtime.
- Napping no later than 3 p.m.
- Sleeping in a dark, quiet room with a comfortable temperature.
- Doing a quiet activity somewhere else if you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes. Return to bed when you're sleepy.
- Winding down in the 30 minutes before bedtime with a relaxing pre-sleep ritual, such as a warm bath, soft music, or reading.
(Click Good Sleep Habits for more suggestions.)