Humira Side Effects
Some of the potential side effects of Humira include reactions at the injection site, upper respiratory infections, and sinus infections. Most people have no problems with the medication, however. If side effects occur, they are usually mild and easily treated. If you experience more serious side effects, such as difficulty breathing, an irregular heart rhythm, or unexplained bleeding, you should contact your healthcare provider immediately.
Humira Side Effects: An IntroductionAs with any medicine, side effects may occur with Humira® (adalimumab). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If Humira side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Humira. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of HumiraHumira has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which the side effects of a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Humira side effects included:
- Reactions at the injection site (redness, itching, pain, or swelling near the injection site) -- in up to 20 percent of people
- Upper respiratory tract infections (such as the common cold) -- up to 17 percent
- Sinus infections -- up to 11 percent
- Accidental injury -- up to 10 percent
- Nausea -- up to 9 percent
- Urinary tract infections (bladder infection) -- up to 8 percent.
Other common side effects, occurring in 5 to 7 percent of people, included:
- Flu symptoms (such as fever or chills)
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- High cholesterol
- Blood in the urine
- Back pain
- High blood pressure (hypertension).