The recommended Entocort EC dosage for the treatment of active Crohn's disease is 9 mg (three capsules) once a day in the morning, for up to eight weeks. After eight weeks, you may be put on a "maintenance dose" for three months, which will help keep the symptoms of Crohn's disease under control. This maintenance Entocort EC dosage is 6 mg (two capsules) once a day in the morning.
Entocort Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of Entocort® EC (budesonide EC) your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The severity of your Crohn's disease
- Other medical conditions you have
- Other medications you are taking.
As always, do not adjust your Entocort EC dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Entocort Dosing for Active Crohn's Disease
The recommended Entocort EC dose for treating active Crohn's disease is Entocort EC 9 mg (three capsules) taken once daily in the morning, for up to eight weeks. After eight weeks, you may be switched to a "maintenance dose," which helps to keep the symptoms of Crohn's disease under control. If you have more flares at later dates, you can take additional eight-week courses of Entocort EC at the active Crohn's disease dose.
Maintenance Entocort Dosing
After an eight-week course of Entocort EC at the full dose, you should be switched to a lower, "maintenance dose" for three more months. This helps keep the symptoms under control. The dose for this period is Entocort EC 6 mg (two capsules) once daily in the morning. After three months, your healthcare provider will usually recommend slowly stopping Entocort EC.
General Entocort Dosage InformationSome considerations for people taking Entocort EC include the following:
- Entocort EC comes in the form of a capsule. It is usually taken by mouth once a day in the morning.
- It does not seem to matter if you take Entocort EC with food or on an empty stomach. If Entocort EC seems to bother your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Swallow Entocort EC capsules whole; do not chew, crush, or open the capsules.
- Do not drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit while you are on Entocort EC.
- A lower Entocort EC dose may be recommended for elderly people, people with certain medical conditions (such as liver disease), or people who take certain medications (see Entocort Drug Interactions for more information).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.