There is only one standard recommended dosage for this medication. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Asacol HD Dosage for more information.)
As with any medicine, side effects are possible. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor, meaning that they either require no treatment or can easily be treated by your healthcare provider.
Common side effects of Asacol HD include, but are not limited to:
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain).
(Click Asacol HD Side Effects to learn more.)
Asacol HD may potentially interact with a few other medicines (see Asacol HD Drug Interactions).
You should talk to your healthcare provider prior to taking this drug if you have:
- Pyloric stenosis (narrowing of the outlet of the stomach)
- Kidney disease, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, hepatitis, or cirrhosis
- Any other allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Mesalamine and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Mesalamine and Breastfeeding).
Tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Asacol HD Warnings and Precautions to learn more, including information on who should not take the drug.)