Asacol HD Dosage
The standard recommended dosage of Asacol HD for treating ulcerative colitis is two 800 mg tablets three times a day. The drug is approved for short-term use, meaning it should only be used to treat active ulcerative colitis flares for six weeks. Make sure to take your doses at the same times each day to maintain an even level of medication in your blood.
There is only one standard Asacol HD® (mesalamine) dosage, regardless or your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended dosage for ulcerative colitis treatment is two Asacol HD 800 mg tablets three times daily, for a total of 4800 mg (4.8 grams) per day.
Asacol HD is only approved for short-term treatment of active ulcerative colitis flares (for six weeks), as it has not yet been adequately studied for longer use. It should be noted that a very similar medication (Delzicol®) is approved for longer use and for maintaining remission of ulcerative colitis.
It is also important to note that taking two regular-strength Asacol (400 mg) tablets is not the same as taking one Asacol HD (800 mg) tablet, since the medication is absorbed differently.
Some considerations for people taking Asacol HD include the following:
- The medication comes as a tablet that is usually taken by mouth three times a day for six weeks.
- You can take Asacol HD with food or on an empty stomach. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Asacol HD tablets have a special coating that makes them delayed-release tablets. In order to protect the special coating, you should not cut, chew, or crush the tablets.
- This medication should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood.
- For the drug to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Asacol HD dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.